Thursday, July 21, 2011

Drop It Like It's Hot As Hades.

Idiom Def: If something's as Hot as Hades, it's extremely hot.

St. Paul Street. Hot as Hades.
Yeaaaaa....definitely doesn't do this week's record highs any justice. Opening the door to check the mail at work today was like leaping into a massive, steam-charged, clear flame the size of Baltimore. Cars and buses zooming passed on St. Paul Street create this heat-wind that's hot enough to take your breath away --- in a bad way. It's just too hot.

Luckily, I work at a dream job right now and will be able to "enjoy" tomorrow's sweltering 105 (without heat index, mind you) at the pool --- THANK BABY JESUS FOR SUMMER FRIDAYS! Laying out in code orange is probably a bad idea but that water is so enticing. I think I should get me some snorkel gear or scuba even! That way, I don't have to come up out of the water for long periods of time, like a suburban, blond manatee of sorts, escaping the Summer blaze. GENIUS.

Neighbors might think something's wrong with me, but it's time they know the truth. Not until I bust out my dance moves mid-scuba to the current song playing, will they FULLY know.

I recall growing up in Stoneleigh, the Norman Rockwell setting of Towson, MD, on the hottest of hottest days every kid in the neighborhood it seemed, had a lemonade stand...a candy stand....a lemonade AND candy stand....an "anything-and-everything I can sell" stand. Each block would be freckled with these cuties pies, which at some time, circa 1991, were the likes of me and my 4 crazy sibs ready to wrestle you down for your $.50 and barter with you to get our "one day only 3 for $3 deal", which makes ZERO sense since one cup was $.50. There aren't any mathematicians amongst my sibs, clearly --- only salesmen, brokers, ad execs, lawyers...and a teacher -- and that teacher, SHE was the worst of us all! (PROOF: I thought that a nickel was worth more than a dime for the first 10 years of my life because of her! SIZE DOES NOT DETERMINE THE VALUE OF THE CURRENCY, SARAH)! I just hope she doesn't teach her students this nonsense ;)

I digress....

On these too-hot-to-do-anything August days in Baltimore, I recall my step dad, Henry, pulling up from a long day at work with 5 or 6 cups of the sweetest (or most watered-down) lemonade you've ever tasted. He be balancing 5 on his briefcase and 1 between his jaws, walking up the back stairs to the house. "I couldn't just stop at one stand!" He'd proclaim, as he dumped each cup of yellow syrup or pink 'water' (depending on the stand and how much Country Time was allotted for that day's product), down the sink. "Have to support these young entrepreneurs, you know!! They're the future of our fine country!"

Too cute.

Stay cool, ya'll. I'm off to find my scuba gear for tomorrow's dive ... and choreograph my pool-side dance exhibition to our blog song of the day, Drop It Like It's Hot (which btw, my hubslice thought was "Drop it like it's HARD" until about 1 week ago...I know...I was just as shocked. He's sheltered and clearly doesn't know what truly good music is all about.)

XOXO
-ERSM

2 comments:

  1. like a suburban, blond manatee of sorts = best thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I love Hen!! I would have combined all of the cups and it would have been the perfect lemonade concoction :) And wait a minute-- summer fridays??? Do you not have to work on Fridays?!!!??

    ReplyDelete