Thursday, March 24, 2011

Passing of the Torch

A dear friend of mine is getting married in a few weeks. Her pre-wedding activities have really brought me back to almost 6 months ago, and the emotions we were feeling weeks, days, hours, minutes before we took the plunge into married-hood. This weekend we'll celebrate her Bachelorette on Saturday followed by her Bridal Shower on Sunday.  We'll surround her with love and excitement, and she'll be glowing and bouncing and hugging and smiling all over the place, I'm sure. 

Now that I'm married, I feel very different at these parties and celebrations. It's a deeper appreciation of the energy put into each event, plus the true meaning behind it all. Something that's impossible to grasp until you're the one opening the gifts and reading the cards and praying to baby jesus that you'll fit into your dress. Or until you're the gal looking like THIS circa 2am on your bachelorette night after rapping a truly unique rendition of Tupac's "Dear Momma". Until then, it's just another party.

I often wonder if I'll ever have a brat-attack at a wedding event and want to be the bride again. Want all of that attention again. It hasn't happened yet, but it's too early to tell I think ;). Instead of a bit of jealously, I'll just embrace my marital status, and pass on some crucial pre-wedding week information to these bride-friends of mine. A list of dos and don'ts that was once relayed to me by a very wise, very kind and thoughtful friend of mine (yea that's you EB, that's you). This list will vary from bride to bride (for instance mine said no running with sharp objects haha -- I'm a bit reckless though. That's not for everyone per say).  This particular bridey got this advice yesterday:

1. Don't do, take, eat ANYTHING NEW over the next 2 weeks. That includes food, meds, run a marathon, etc. NOTHING NEW.
2. Don't overexercise.
3. Limit wearing heels. 
4. Drink TONS of water. Extra water is always better.
5. Eat TONS of extra veggies. Helps with the photographic glow (like the water does) AND keeps "things moving" if you know what I mean for optimal day-of GI situations.
6. Eat extra protein when possible -- again, for the glow.
7. MOISTURIZE (entire body and extra for the face)
8. Wear little to no make-up when possible up to the day-of
9. Do light stretching every day. Keeps you from getting too tense.
10. 8 hours of sleep EVERY night no excuses
11. And...finally...whenever you think of it, take 5-10 DEEP, DEEP, breaths. And enjoy them. Enjoy each of them. This is such a special time so it's crucial to recognize your moments :) 
12. Kiss your man-candy. Kiss him A LOT. Soon he'll be your husband, not your boyf. Enjoy the semantics of that, no matter how silly you might deem them.

I get butterflies in my belly when I re-read my list from back in October. I'll keep it forever because for some reason it takes me back. Brings all the emotion to the surface again, just like it's October 20, 2011, and we're packing the car to head to Bethany Beach three days before the big day. Just like I'm getting my hair done an hour before the ceremony & putting on my grandmother's earrings. 

Or just like I'm smooching that husband's face, post 'i dos'. Takes me right back there. 

Can't wait to celebrate with you, Lindsay Cummings (almost Goodman!)

-ERSM




4 comments:

  1. Emily this was a really sweet post. I loved the list; I didn't know that water and veggies helped your skin complexion/glowing factor. I hope I get a list like this in a year :-)

    -Melissa R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another piece of advice: on your wedding night, make sure you spend it with your HUSBAND and not in bed with your MOH, chatting and eating the foods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember feeling kinda sad the first 2 weddings after mine- that it was all over and I wouldn't ever experience it again, but now I LOVE weddings and never think like that. I think it was just a little "honeymoon's over" phase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so sweet. I sure hope you're around for a reminder if this event ever happens for me. :) xo

    ReplyDelete